Trailers and Tankers
Throughout the years Riding's ran a variety of trailers and tankers of all shapes and sizes.
Below is a selection showing some of the various makes and sizes of trailers and tankers W & J Riding operated in their fleet dating from the 1920's through to the 1990's.
Pictured here in 1922, outside the premises of Atkinson Walker Wagons Ltd in Frenchwood Preston, is a brand new W & J Riding early design draw-bar trailer capable of four tons carrying capacity.
Unfortunately soon after it was built the company of Atkinson Walker Wagons Ltd suffered closure due mainly to the depression at that time.
Atkinson did restructure again a number of years later in 1933 but by this time Riding's were completely dedicated Leyland users and it was not until 1963 that they transferred their alliance back to the Preston company.
In this photograph we see one of Riding's original 26 foot Crane built trailing arm tandem axle trailers in a spot of bother on the quayside at Preston Docks.
When the trailer was disembarking off the ferry, and the angle of the ships drop down ramp to the landing floor was beyond a certain angle, the suspension on the trailer could flick over as can be seen in this instance above.
Loaded with 16 tons of Plas Bins the only way to put it right was the removal of one set of wheels and then flick the suspension back over.
Four brand new Crane Fruehauf 1450 cubic foot tandem axle powder tankers introduced into the fleet in 1968.
This picture shows the sign writers skill in abundance.
All the detail you see was hand painted and was a credit to the dedicated craftsman the likes of which we rarely see applied to vehicles in this day and age.
A brand new 30 foot tandem axle Crane Fruehauf trailer is pictured here on the Atkinson stand at the Royal Lancashire Show in 1970.
Riding's ran quite a number of these trailers used mainly on the Wilton to Kilroot Irish ferry service.
These particular trailers replaced the old 'four in line' trailers that had been used on the traffic before the gross vehicle weights were increased.
A pair of brand new Carmichael 2000 cubic ft non tipping tri-axle powder tanks pictured at Riding's Thornaby depot.
They are parked up awaiting the start of the movement of Nylon chip from Wilton to Pontypool.
Altogether eight of these brand new tankers, all in ICI livery, were bought for this contract in 1984 which was quite an investment by Riding's.
Pictured here in Riding's depot at Thornaby in 1985 is another of the eight ICI liveried Carmichael 2000 cubic foot non tipping tri-axle powder tankers.
The Seddon Atkinson 401 4X2 tractor unit Reg No C300 HFV Fleet No 63 'Great Britain' was registered new on the 1st of October 1985 at a cost of £26,496 plus vat.
It was originally fitted with a Gardner 6LYT 320 16 litre engine but unusually for some reason it was removed in February 1994 and replaced with a Cummins E290 big cam unit.
Based at Riding's Thornaby Teesside depot it was driven by Jimmy Renton who can be seen in the picture on the left.
August 1986 and Tom Riding is pictured at the wheel of a brand new unregistered Seddon Atkinson 401 tractor unit in the depot at Longridge.
Later registered as D570 FSR Fleet No 27 'Valliant II' he is pictured maneuvering a tandem axle powder tanker obtained from TDG group member Reliance of Manchester after they ceased powder tanker operations.
Shortly after the picture was taken it would have been taken into to Riding's workshops and converted into a tri-axle along with being repainted in Riding's familiar livery.
Photograph courtesy of Bob Tuck. '
In 1992 forty foot curtain-sider trailer No 226 was taken off the road had it's curtains removed and was converted into a Timax Exhaust advertising float for the 1992 Preston Guild celebrations.
Seen here on the Preston inner ring road, opposite the Timax offices, the trailer is being hauled by Seddon Atkinson Strato 4x2 tractor unit Reg No G892 HFR Fleet No 84 aptly named 'Preston Guild'.
A brand new Metalair-Fiilliat tri-axle 25 ton payload cement tanker pictured in the depot at Longridge.
This was one of a number in the fleet which were used to transport cement from the nearby Castle Cement works at Clitheroe in Lancashire up to Coatbridge in Scotland.
Photograph Courtesy of Chris Richards.
Riding's had quite a number of stepframe trailers in their fleet including this one which was rather unusual.
Tom Riding explains the reason why below.......
"Occasionally Timax would have a problem collecting their own products from a site if the customer ceased trading or whatever.
Their was a requirement for us to be able to carry a fork lift truck on a normal taut-liner to enable the driver to load himself if the need arose.
R.J. and I Wells modified this particular step frame trailer in such a way that a section of chassis was carved away immediately behind the fifth wheel step, suitably strengthened and pull out ramps fitted.
This enabled a fork lift truck to climb on board and, providing the driver was suitably qualified, the system worked a treat.
Result, a highly satisfied customer".
Photograph courtesy of Chris Richards.