Trailers and Tankers
Throughout the years Riding's ran a variety of trailers and tankers of all shapes and sizes.
Below is a selection showing some of the various makes and sizes of trailers and tankers W & J Riding operated in their fleet dating from the 1920's through to the 1990's.
Pictured here in 1922, outside the premises of Atkinson Walker Wagons Ltd in Frenchwood Preston, is a brand new W & J Riding early design draw-bar trailer capable of four tons carrying capacity.
Unfortunately soon after it was built the company of Atkinson Walker Wagons Ltd suffered closure due mainly to the depression at that time.
Atkinson did restructure again a number of years later in 1933 but by this time Riding's were completely dedicated Leyland users and it was not until 1963 that they transferred their alliance back to the Preston company.
In this photograph we see one of Riding's original 26 foot Crane built trailing arm tandem axle trailers in a spot of bother on the quayside at Preston Docks.
When the trailer was disembarking off the ferry, and the angle of the ships drop down ramp to the landing floor was beyond a certain angle, the suspension on the trailer could flick over as can be seen in this instance above.
Loaded with 16 tons of Plas Bins the only way to put it right was the removal of one set of wheels and then flick the suspension back over.
This Crane Fruehauf built 33 foot trailer tandem axle trailer was one of which of which Riding's had dozens in the fleet in the 1960's and early 1970's
It is pictured here coupled up to Atkinson Mk I Silver Knight 4x2 tractor unit Reg No CTB 260E Fleet No 52 which was purchased direct from the nearby Atkinson factory at Walton le Dale on the 18th of March 1967 at a cost of £3,461,.
Tom Riding took this picture on Longridge Fell the day it was first taxed for road use on the 1st of April 1967.
Atkinson Mk I Silver Knight 4x2 tractor unit Reg No MTC 690G Fleet No 46 is seen here while coupled to a Crane Fruehauf 33 foot tandem axle trailer with one of Riding's de-mountable tankers on board.
Back in the day there were no twist locks on trailers so the tank was secured to the trailer with just ropes.
Four brand new Crane Fruehauf 1450 cubic foot tandem axle powder tankers introduced into the fleet in 1968.
This picture shows the sign writers skill in abundance.
All the detail you see was hand painted and was a credit to the dedicated craftsman the likes of which we rarely see applied to vehicles in this day and age.
A brand new 33 foot tandem axle Crane Fruehauf trailer is pictured here on the Atkinson stand at the Royal Lancashire Show in 1970.
Riding's ran quite a number of these trailers used mainly on the Wilton to Kilroot Irish ferry service.
These particular trailers replaced the old 'four in line' trailers that had been used on the traffic before the gross vehicle weights were increased.
One of Riding's tandem axle 1540 cubic foot Crane Fruehauf powder tankers which was used for the transportation of Corvic on behalf of ICI.
This tanker would later be fitted with complete new tri-axle running gear to operate at 38 Tons GVW.
The tractor unit is Seddon Atkinson 400 Series 4x2 tractor unit Reg No BCW 600R Fleet No 45 'Undaunted' which was painted in an experimental livery that was not applied to many of Riding's vehicles.
Powered by a Gardner 8LXB engine it had a Wellworth WS9 compressor fitted in front of the rear axle which Riding's installed due to being renown for running very quietly.
In 1984/5 Riding's introduced a number of these Crane Fruehauf built 40 foot curtain sider trailer's into their fleet which were required on the busy Timax Bainbridge exhaust contract at Blackpool and Glasson Dock near Lancaster.
At the time this picture was taken the trailer was coupled up to 'fresh out of the paint shop' Seddon Atkinson 401 Series 4x2 tractor unit Reg No KHW 979X Fleet No 104 'Iron Duke'.
Powered by a Cummins E290 engine it was originally registered new on the 1st of June 1982 and purchased second-hand when just two years old in 1984.
KHW 979X remained in service with Riding's for four years until it was sold on to Translitre of Burton on Trent on the 15th of August 1988 for £2,600 plus vat.
A Carmichael 2000 cubic ft non tipping tri-axle powder tanker pictured while parked up Riding's Thornaby depot on Teesside..
These were used for the movement of Nylon chip from ICI at Wilton to Pontypool with some later additions to the fleet painted up in ICI livery as can be seen in the picture below. v
A pair of brand new Carmichael 2000 cubic ft non tipping tri-axle powder tanks pictured at Riding's Thornaby depot.
They are parked up awaiting the start of the movement of Nylon chip from Wilton to Pontypool.
Altogether eight of these brand new tankers, all in ICI livery, were bought for this contract in 1984 which was quite an investment by Riding's.
Pictured here in Riding's depot at Thornaby in 1985 is another of the eight ICI liveried Carmichael 2000 cubic foot non tipping tri-axle powder tankers.
The Seddon Atkinson 401 4X2 tractor unit Reg No C300 HFV Fleet No 63 'Great Britain' was registered new on the 1st of October 1985 at a cost of £26,496 plus vat.
It was originally fitted with a Gardner 6LYT 320 16 litre engine but unusually for some reason it was removed in February 1994 and replaced with a Cummins E290 big cam unit.
Based at Riding's Thornaby Teesside depot it was driven by Jimmy Renton who can be seen in the picture on the left.
August 1986 and Tom Riding is pictured at the wheel of a brand new unregistered Seddon Atkinson 401 tractor unit in the depot at Longridge.
Later registered as D570 FSR Fleet No 27 'Valliant II' he is pictured maneuvering a tandem axle powder tanker obtained from TDG group member Reliance of Manchester after they ceased powder tanker operations.
Shortly after the picture was taken it would have been taken into to Riding's workshops and converted into a tri-axle along with being repainted in Riding's familiar livery.
Photograph courtesy of Bob Tuck. '
Liverpool Docks December 1986 showing several of Riding's 40 foot trailers are seen here after unloading unloading bags of adipic acid from the ICI plant at Wilton near Redcar.
The driver pictured at the rear of the trailer is Cumberland John who was the regular driver of Seddon Atkinson 400 Series 4x2 tractor unit Reg No GAT 247T Fleet No 64 'Earl Marichal'.
Purchased second-hand by Riding's on the 1st of July 1982 from Yardley Commercial Vehicles of Kidderminster at a cost of £9,250 plus vat it was originally registered new to TDG group company Gilyot & Scott Ltd of Hull on the 1st of July 1979.
Reg No GAT 247T spent six years in the Riding fleet after which time it was sold to a Mr Riley of Settle for the sum on £3,000 plus vat on the 30th of June 1988
Photograph courtesy of Andrew Eastham.
1987 and this Edbro publicity shot was taken after they had designed and supplied a special long-stroke DD21 hydraulic ram for use on one of Riding's 55..6 cubic meter capacity 'supertanker' semi-trailers.
Due to the exceptional length of the tank when tipped it reached a height of 11 metres so this necessitated the use of a special Edbro DD21 hoist which incorporated both a long stroke and double sliders for additional rigidity.
Seddon Atkinson Strato 4x2 tractor unit Reg No G388 JKY Fleet No 104 'Iron Duke' is seen here discharging its load of plastic granules at the Sterling Mouldings plant in Stalybridge.
With plenty of management in attendance this was the first delivery of a new contract that Riding's had with Bell Line and, as you can see, the brand new Van Hool bulk tank container had yet to be painted.
In 1992 forty foot curtain-sider trailer No 226 was taken off the road had it's curtains removed and was converted into a Timax Exhaust advertising float for the 1992 Preston Guild celebrations.
Seen here on the Preston inner ring road, opposite the Timax offices, the trailer is being hauled by Seddon Atkinson Strato 4x2 tractor unit Reg No G892 HFR Fleet No 84 aptly named 'Preston Guild'.
A brand new Metalair-Fiilliat tri-axle 25 ton payload cement tanker pictured in the depot at Longridge.
This was one of a number in the fleet which were used to transport cement from the nearby Castle Cement works at Clitheroe in Lancashire up to Coatbridge in Scotland.
Photograph Courtesy of Chris Richards.
Riding's had quite a number of stepframe trailers in their fleet including this one which was rather unusual.
Tom Riding explains the reason why below.......
"Occasionally Timax would have a problem collecting their own products from a site if the customer ceased trading or whatever.
Their was a requirement for us to be able to carry a fork lift truck on a normal taut-liner to enable the driver to load himself if the need arose.
R.J. and I Wells modified this particular step frame trailer in such a way that a section of chassis was carved away immediately behind the fifth wheel step, suitably strengthened and pull out ramps fitted.
This enabled a fork lift truck to climb on board and, providing the driver was suitably qualified, the system worked a treat.
Result, a highly satisfied customer".
Photograph courtesy of Chris Richards.