Leyland Steer Reg No 880 FTF
Originally built by Leyland Motors as a Leyland Steer Reg No 880 FTF Fleet No 45 was registered new on the 1st of August 1958 and had a long and varied life while in the W & J Riding fleet.
During it's 35 years with the company it was chopped down and converted into a Leyland Beaver tractor unit, was involved in a roll over accident, was used as a ballast tractor/recovery truck and was eventually saved for preservation after being parked up in a corner of the depot for many years.
Below are a selection of images, along with detailed information, documenting it's working life at W & J Riding.
Originally purchased brand new as a Leyland Steer Reg No 880 FTF Fleet No 45 is seen here not long after entering service with the fleet in August 1958.
Parked in the yard at Longridge it is waiting to head back to Accrington, were it was based along with another Leyland Steer in the fleet at that time Reg No 868 LTJ.
With articulation rapidly becoming popular in the ever growing fleet, along with a shortage of tractor unit's being built by manufactures at that time, it was decided to cut down 880 FTF Fleet No 45 and turn it into this smart looking Leyland Beaver 4x2 tractor unit.
Pictured here fresh out of the paint shop the vehicle went on to serve the company well for many more years until it was involved in the accident pictured below. v
After being involved in the roll over accident on the roundabout beneath Junction 31 of the M6 near Preston Leyland Beaver 4x2 tractor unit Reg No 880 FTF was fully repaired and renumbered Fleet No 47.
Over the following years, as the fleet was gradually replaced with Atkinson's and later Seddon Atkinson's, 880 FTF was fortunate in being the last Leyland to survive in the fleet and was used for a number of years by the workshops for running trailers to Kirkham for MOT testing and also as a yard shunter.
Another shot of Leyland Beaver 4x2 tractor unit Reg No 880 FTF taken on the 21st of November 1992.
It is seen here in the yard at Longridge shortly before being removed and saved for preservation by the Pyatt brothers of Cheadle.
Photograph courtesy of Chris Richards.