The Riding's Forum

Forum Home > Photographs > Some of your 400 Series

Jeremy Rowland

I became an apprentice truck mechanic at Ryland Vehicle Group (Dudley) in 1978 two of the 400 series in your photographs I have worked on namely JFK388V and COL628V.

COL was one of two such trucks operated by Dunlop the other being sister truck COL629V I have no idea what became of that one? One of them received damage to the nearside of the cab when a front tyre blew out it was repaired at Rylands.

I cannot recall who first operated JF388V I wonder if it was Colin L Parsons of Mucklow Hill who ran a mixed fleet that consisted of several Seddon Atkinsons?

Later I worked for H Fellows Transport who operated all Seddon Atkinson bar one GUY when I first worked for them; to cut a long story short Ellis Fellows eventually sold the business not long after I had finished my employment there, the business went bump but Ellis later repurchased it and had to open it as Ellis J Fellows Transport. Not long after this he purchased WKY730Y a former Riding truck, although the name had been removed it still carried the Riding livery and the name 'Wolf of Badenoch' I fitted a second hand cam into it's E290 engine because it had picked up on one of the injector lobes causing it to smoke. I drove that truck from Ellis's yard over to Bromford Steel Works in Birmingham (now long gone) this was the last time that I ever drove a truck.

Obviously Ellis had purchased this truck from TransLitre at Burton a company that I had visited several times on his behalf can anybody on here please tell me what happened to that company?

Great site BTW :)

Jeremy

March 10, 2018 at 2:56 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Paul Anderson
Site Owner

Thank you for your interesting post Jeremy.

Pleased you like the site and Tom Riding himself will also leave you a reply shortly. 

--

March 22, 2018 at 12:14 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Jeremy Rowland

Thank you Paul I look forward to hearing from Tom.

Jeremy

May 18, 2018 at 4:19 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Tom Riding

Jeremy Rowland at March 10, 2018 at 2:56 PM

I became an apprentice truck mechanic at Ryland Vehicle Group (Dudley) in 1978 two of the 400 series in your photographs I have worked on namely JFK388V and COL628V.

COL was one of two such trucks operated by Dunlop the other being sister truck COL629V I have no idea what became of that one? One of them received damage to the nearside of the cab when a front tyre blew out it was repaired at Rylands.

I cannot recall who first operated JF388V I wonder if it was Colin L Parsons of Mucklow Hill who ran a mixed fleet that consisted of several Seddon Atkinsons?

Later I worked for H Fellows Transport who operated all Seddon Atkinson bar one GUY when I first worked for them; to cut a long story short Ellis Fellows eventually sold the business not long after I had finished my employment there, the business went bump but Ellis later repurchased it and had to open it as Ellis J Fellows Transport. Not long after this he purchased WKY730Y a former Riding truck, although the name had been removed it still carried the Riding livery and the name 'Wolf of Badenoch' I fitted a second hand cam into it's E290 engine because it had picked up on one of the injector lobes causing it to smoke. I drove that truck from Ellis's yard over to Bromford Steel Works in Birmingham (now long gone) this was the last time that I ever drove a truck.

Obviously Ellis had purchased this truck from TransLitre at Burton a company that I had visited several times on his behalf can anybody on here please tell me what happened to that company?

Great site BTW :)

Jeremy

Hi Jeremy

Sorry for the delay in replying to your very interesting post.

I have no idea who first owned JFK 388V but it proved to be a successful acquisition.

Like wise I did many deals with Ken Howard, the boss of Translitre, but have no idea what eventually

happened to either him or his firm.

Thanks for your comments, Keep looking in.

Regards Tom Riding.

January 21, 2019 at 11:34 AM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.