Riding's Bulk Haulage Ltd

Tom Riding recalls in detail about the introduction of powder tanker trailers into the fleet in 1968 and the emergence of the wholly owned subsidiary 'Riding's Bulk Haulage Ltd'.


"In 1967 all the powder products from ICI Ltd were being transported in Plas bins (one ton containers) which were extremely costly and subject to damage.


We were quietly advised that future demand was in bulk transport and in fact Pickford's already had a five axle twin tipping tank vehicle on the job at ICI Hillhouse works.


At that time Crane Fruehauf, in line with their American parent company, were building 1450 cubic foot non tipping tankers at their Dereham factory in Norfolk which could carry the same payload as the Pickford's vehicle but only using a four axle outfit.

 I borrowed one early in 1968 to see if indeed it could discharge the product and to everyone's amazement it did and it seems incredible today that there was ever any doubt that it wouldn't work.


After the evaluation we quoted our costs, which were lower, and set up a new subsidiary which we called 'Ridings Bulk Haulage Ltd' and, as they say, the rest is history".


The first powder tanker to enter service with the company is pictured here in 1968 being hauled by Atkinson Mk I Silver Knight 4x2 tractor unit Reg No ETF 860F.


The brand new Crane-Fruehauf 1450 cubic foot non tipping powder tank was on demo for a couple of months, as at that time, Crane-Fruehauf were in the process of building four new ones for Riding's.

Atkinson Mk I Silver Knight 4x2 tractor unit Reg No ETF 860F is seen here collecting a borrowed Crane Fruehauf tandem axle powder tanker from their Warrington depot.


 During those early days of tanker operations in 1968 a number of tankers were loaned by Crane Fruehauf while Riding's had their own tankers built by the company.

A press release, dating from 1968.


This announced the arrival of W & J Riding's brand new bulk tanker fleet and the formation of W & J Riding's subsidiary company which was named 'Riding's Bulk Haulage Ltd'.

Atkinson Mk I Silver Knight tractor unit HTC 200F is pictured here coupled up to one of the four brand new Crane-Fruehauf 1450 cubic foot non tipping powder tankers to enter service with the company in 1968.


In the new livery of 'Riding's Bulk Haulage Ltd' these were the days when all the graphics what you see on the tanker were hand painted by dedicated sign writers, unlike today, where its all white paint and vinyl transfers.

In 1968 between the Christmas and New Year holiday period Tom Riding took five of the company's brand new Crane Fruehauf powder tankers down to the De Tabley Hotel by the river in Ribchester for a photo shoot.


 Tom Riding calls this picture the 'A' team with drivers left to right, Ted Woods, Jack Swanson, Fred Bretherton, Bill Coolican and Dick Walton.

This rear end shot of four brand new Crane Fruehauf powder tankers, introduced into the fleet in 1968, shows the sign writers skill in abundance.


All the detail to each of the tankers was hand painted and a credit to the dedicated craftsman the likes of which we rarely see in this day and age.

Atkinson Mk I Silver Knight 4x2 tractor unit Reg No HTE 940F Fleet No 63 is seen here at OSMA plastics in Ashford Kent while tipping a full load of Corvic into the silos in 1968.


 The driver in the picture is the late Dick Walton who was quite young at the time.


Dick drove for Riding's until his retirement from the company many years later.

Another shot taken in 1968 shows Riding's driver the late Dick Walton as he takes time out for a photograph alongside Atkinson Mk I Silver Knight 4x2 tractor unit Reg No HTE 940F Fleet No 63.


 Dick had just discharged 20 tons of Corvic at OSMA plastics in Ashford Kent which he had previously loaded at the ICI Ltd Hillhouse Works at Thornton Blackpool. 


This type of work was a big traffic flow for W & J Riding for many years.

Atkinson Mk I Silver Knight 4x2 tractor unit Reg No NTD 820G Fleet No 65 is shown here while discharging it's load at Yorkshire Imperial Plastics at Leeds in 1968.


 This was the first delivery on behalf of ICI Plastics of Hillhouse and the suits at the rear of the tank are discussing the ins and outs of the brand new non tipping tanker.

New Years day 1970 and Atkinson Mk I Silver Knight 4x2 tractor unit Reg No NTD 820G Fleet No 65 is seen here after loading its powder tanker up with the very first load of Corvic from the brand new plant, known then as 'Corvic 7' at Runcorn.


 The driver, with his foot on the step, was a youthful Freddie Bretherton who went on to complete a total of 42 years service with W & J Riding.

Another shot taken on New Years day 1970.


 Freddie Bretherton is pictured at the wheel of Atkinson Mk I Silver Knight 4x2 tractor unit Reg No NTD 820G Fleet No 65 as he sets off with the very first load of Corvic out of the brand new plant, then known as 'Corvic 7' at Runcorn.

Atkinson Mk I Silver Knight 4X2 tractor unit Reg No PTB 840G Fleet No 66 'Mighty' was the very last Atkinson Mk I to enter service with Riding's.


 Driven from new by Edwin Cousell it is seen here hauling a 1450 cubic foot tandem axle Crane Fruehauf built powder tanker, in Riding's Bulk Haulage Ltd livery, used for the distribution of 'Corvic' which was a granulated PVC resin produced by ICI at their Hillhouse works.

Atkinson Mk II 4X2 tractor unit Reg No WTB 660H Fleet No 41 was a brand new addition to the Riding fleet on the 1st of March 1970 at a cost of £4,708.22p.


Assigned to the bulk haulage fleet this was another classic Mark II tractor unit powered by a Gardner 6LXB 180 engine in line with a six speed David Brown gearbox and Kirkstall BDR axle and was driven from new by Ron Rich who eventually went on to start his own successful powder tank business.


 After eight years service WTB 660H was sold on to a W.R. Taylor of Melling Liverpool on the 8th of March 1978 for £2,500 plus vat.

A nice on the road shot of Atkinson Mk II 4X2 tractor unit Reg No WTB 660H Fleet No 41 is seen here hauling a 'Ridings Bulk Haulage Ltd' 1450 cubic foot Crane Fruehauf tanker with a widespread bogie.


 This particular tanker was eventually converted
to a tri-axle bogie and was in service with Riding's for 20 years.

WTB 660H was driven from new by Ron Rich who eventually went on to start his own successful powder tank business.

Atkinson Mk II 4x2 tractor unit Reg No ETF 510J Fleet No 77, powered by a Gardner 180 engine, is seen here when new in 1971 hauling one of the company's tandem axle powder tankers.


Driven on a regular basis by the late Fred Wolstenholme (Pluto) it is pictured here at the premises of Hepworth Polva Plastics inPadiam near Burnley a company which manufactured plastic piping and guttering.

Atkinson Borderer 4X2 tractor unit Reg No HTD 470K Fleet No 27 'Competent' is seen here on the 25th of May 1973 on Archway Road London while hauling a 1450 cubic foot Crane Fruehauf powder tanker.


 Powered by a Gardner 180 engine it was  purchased new by Riding's in September 1971 at a cost of £4,802 and was driven from new by Bill Coolican who drove for Riding's for over 40 years.


After being in service with Riding's for nine years HTD 470K was sold locally on the 27th of November 1980 for £700.


Photograph courtesy of Edward J Beazley.

                

          Atkinson Borderer 4X2 tractor unit Reg No JTC                                               960K Fleet No 10.


This was a typical Riding tractor unit of the time powered by a Gardner 180 engine in line with a David brown 6 speed

gearbox and Kirkstall rear axle.


Registered new to Riding's on the 1st of November 1971, at a cost of £4802.60p, it was driven from new by the late Richard Walton who was a lifetime Riding's driver. 


It is pictured above while heading down Archway Road London in October 1972 but unfortunately just under two years later, on the 25th of July 1974 while parked overnight in Larne harbour, JTC 960K was detached from its tank trailer, stolen and was never to be seen again. 


Photograph courtesy of Edward J Beazley. 


Atkinson Borderer Reg No XTF 970L Fleet No 29 'Masterfull' was registered new to Riding's on the 29th of March 1973 at a cost of  £5,322.48p plus vat. 


Based at Riding's Teesside depot it is seen above in its original role while on contract to ICI Ltd Plastics Division Wilton works. 


This was one of six tractor units fitted with the Gardner 180 engine and plated at 32 tons GVW. 


All subsequent tractor units had either the 8 cylinder Gardner or the Cummins to comply with the 6 BHP per ton legislation. 


The Crane -Fruehauf 1450 cubic foot capacity tanker in the picture would later have a tri-axle bogie fitted so it could run at 38 tons GVW. 


After eight years service XTF 970L was eventually sold on to a Mr J McGarrie of New Longton Preston for £1,000 plus vat on the 28th of September 1981.

This Atkinson publicity shot shows Atkinson Borderer 4X2 tractor unit Reg No XTB 850L Fleet No 18 'Leviathan' coupled to a Crane Fruehauf 1450 cubic foot non tipping powder tanker in 'Riding's Bulk Haulage Ltd' livery.  


Powered by an eight cylinder Gardner 8LXB 240 engine, in line with a David Brown 8-speed range-change gearbox, it was a brand new addition to the fleet in 1973 costing £6,095.47p.


On entering service XTB 850L was driven from new by Tony Freeman who spent most of his career with W & J Riding eventually finishing up as shift foreman.

Atkinson Borderer 4x2 tractor unit Reg No YTC 980N Fleet No 6 'Eminent' was registered new on the 1st of September 1974 at a cost of £8,134.33p plus vat.


 Powered by a Gardner 180 engine in line with a six speed David Brown gear box and Kirkstall D 85 hub reduction rear axle it was driven from new by Arthur Luke.


Arthur is pictured here while discharging a Crane Fruehauf 1450 cubic foot non tipping tank at the Welvic plant of ICI Ltd Hillhouse Works at Thornton Blackpool.

Another shot of Atkinson Borderer 4x2 tractor unit Reg No YTC980N Fleet No 6 'Eminent' seen here discharging a Crane Fruehauf 1450 cubic foot non tipping powder tanker       at theWelvic plant in the ICI Ltd Hillhouse Works at                                              Thornton Blackpool. 

1975 and Seddon Atkinson 4x2 tractor unit Reg No RCW 400P Fleet No 46 was the first 400 series tractor unit with a Gardner eight cylinder engine to come out of the Atkinson factory.


 Driven from new by Ted Woods it is seen here coupled up to one of the ever increasing number of powder tankers in the fleet at that time.

Pictured here while coupled up to a tandem axle powder tanker is Gardner 240 engined Seddon Atkinson 4x2 tractor unit Reg No AHG 820R Fleet No 90 'Silver Jubilee'.


 Driven from new by Bill Tyson it was registered new on the 1st of June 1977 and was painted in a special livery to commemorate the Queen's silver jubilee which took place in 1977.


The 1540 cubic foot Crane Fruehauf powder tanker would later be fitted with complete new tri-axle running gear to operate at 38 Tons GVW.

Seddon Atkinson 400 Series 4x2 tractor unit Reg No YFR 560R  Fleet No 30 'Relentless'.


 Miles Ward was the regular driver of this 240 Gardner engined tractor unit which is seen here delivering the first tanker load of PVC from ICI Hillhouse to a new silo installation at Catterick.

Seddon Atkinson 400 Series 4x2 tractor unit Reg No BCW 600R Fleet No 45 'Undaunted' was painted in an experimental livery which was not applied to many of Riding's vehicles.


Powered by a Gardner 8LXB engine it is seen here on the A59, approaching the top of Blubber Houses while hauling a 1540 cubic foot Crane Fruehauf powder tank loaded with Corvic.


 This tanker would later be fitted with complete new tri-axle running gear to operate at 38 Tons GVW.


Note the Wellworth WS9 compressor fitted in front of the rear axle which Riding's fitted as they were renown for running very quietly.


 Photograph courtesy of David Chalker.

Seddon Atkinson 400 Series 4x2 tractor unit Reg No FFV 680S Fleet No 91 'Western Star' was driven by Jack Kelly and was powered by a Gardner 240 engine.


Pictured here parked up on the M62 Hartshead Moor service area, in West Yorkshire, it is coupled up to one of Riding's trademark tandem axle powder tankers carrying Corvic plastic granules for ICI. 

Driven by Kevin Jordan Seddon Atkinson 400 Series 4x2 tractor unit Reg No LFR 310T Fleet No 73 'North Star', powered by an 8 cylinder Gardner engine, was registered new on the 1st of September 1978.


It is seen here while coupled up to one of the many non tipping Crane Fruehauf tri-axle powder tankers Riding's operated in their fleet.

One of the first Seddon Atkinson 401 Series 4x2 tractor units in the fleet was Reg No DCW 930Y Fleet No 71 'Vanguard'.


 It is seen here coupled to a brand new 1880 cubic foot Carmichael non tipping tank in standard company livery before ICI had them painted in their ICI grey and white contract livery.

Seddon Atkinson 401 tractor unit Reg No VPW 233Y Fleet No 15'Black Douglas' is seen here with its lime tank having loaded 25 tons of GBL from Shap for delivery to Ravenscraig steel works.


This was just one of the six loads Riding's did every 24 hours seven days a week.

Seddon Atkinson 301 Series 4X2 tractor unit Reg No A130 HCK Fleet No 77 'Sir Tristram' was registered new on the 1st of August 1983 and driven from new by Mick Mckay.


 It is pictured here towards the end of it's working life at Riding's being used as the yard shunter.


Parked outside the tyre bay at Longridge depot it is coupled to a non tipping Murfitt 1600 cubic foot tri-axle powder tanker which is undergoing a tyre change to it's rear nearside axle.


Photograph courtesy of Chris Richards.

Seddon Atkinson 401 Series 4x2 tractor unit Reg No A190 OCW Fleet No 58 'Resolute' was registered new on the 1st of March 1984.


It is seen here coupled up to a 1540 cubic foot Crane Fruehauf powder tank one of the many tri-axle powder tankers that Riding's operated at that time.

This ICI Ltd publicity photograph was taken in 1983 when both vehicles featured were virtually brand new.


 On the left Seddon Atkinson 401 Series 4x2 tractor unit Reg No A900 KFR Fleet No 81 'Dominant' was powered by a Gardner 300 eight cylinder turbo engine and driven from new by the late Bill Coolican a Riding's man all his life.


  Registered new on the 1st of September 1983 at a cost of £26,725 it gave ten years service until it was scrapped in January 1993 with the engine sold on for export for £2,500.


On the right Seddon Atkinson 401 Series 4x2 tractor unit Reg No DCW 930Y Fleet No 71 'Vanguard' was powered by a Gardner 300 eight cylinder turbo engine and was driven from new by the late Ted Woods who was also a Riding's man all his life.


 Registered new on the 25th of March 1983, at a cost of £25,926, it was sold on to John Killingbeck eight years later on the 4th of September 1991 for £2,250 plus vat.


The photograph shows A900 pulling away from the corvic loading plant at the ICI Hillhouse works, while 930Y has just followed in under the overhead loading gantry.

A close up shot of Seddon Atkinson 401 Series 4x2 tractor unit Reg No A900 KFR Fleet No 81 'Dominant' which was registered new on 1st of September 1983 at a cost of £26,725.


 Powered by an eight cylinder Gardner 8LXCT 300 bhp engine, and driven from new by Bill Coolican, it is pictured here coupled to one of the many Carmichael 2000 cubic foot tri-axle powder tankers that Riding's had in their fleet.

A pair of brand new Carmichael 2000 cubic foot non tipping powder tanks pictured at Riding's Thornaby depot.


They are parked up awaiting the start of the movement of Nylon chip from Wilton to Pontypool.


Altogether eight of these brand new tankers, all in ICI livery, were bought for this contract in 1984.

Seddon Atkinson 401 Series 4x2 tractor unit Reg No B800 YFR Fleet No 75 'Great Western' was powered by a Gardner 300 8LXCT engine.


 It is seen here with the first load of nylon chip delivered in a brand new ICI liveried bulk tanker from ICI Wilton Middlesbrough to ICI Pontypool works.


 Previously this product had been transported in tall tote bins by ICI's in house fleet, but once Riding's acquired the contract it became a night and day operation which went on for many years.


 The Teesside based driver, Terry Mclaughlin, is seen second from left in the boiler suit.

Another shot of Seddon Atkinson 4x2 tractor unit Reg No B800 YFR Fleet No 75 'Great Western', seen in the previous picture in Riding's own livery.


 This particular vehicle along with the tanker was on contract to ICI Ltd who decided they wanted contractors vehicles painted in their corporate livery of white and grey, thus B800 YFR was suitably liveried up.

Seddon Atkinson 401 Series 4x2 tractor unit Reg No C850 GFV Fleet No 88 'Challenger', registered new on the 1st of September 1985, was powered by a Gardner 320 16 litre engine.


It is pictured here beneath Junction 33 of the M62 and the old A1 junction at Ferrybridge in West Yorkshire while hauling a Carmichael 2000 cubic foot non tipping powder tanker which was one of eight brand new tankers, all in ICI livery, bought for this contract in 1984.


Photograph courtesy of the late Colin Wright.

Seddon Atkinson 401 4X2 tractor unit Reg No C300 HFV Fleet No 63 'Great Britain' was originally fitted with a Gardner 6LYT320 16 litre engine.


 Registered new on the 1st of October 1985, at a cost of £26,496 plus vat, it was was based at Riding's Thornaby Teesside depot and driven from new by Jimmy Renton.


 It is coupled to a Carmichael 2000 cubic foot non tipping tri-axle powder tanker was used on the countrywide delivery of plastic products from ICI Ltd Wilton.


After nine years service C300 HFV was sold on to J.C. Commercials of Bootle for £2,250 plus vat on the 4th of November 1994.


Photograph courtesy of renown lorry photographer Peter J Davis.

Seddon Atkinson 401 Series 4x2 tractor unit Reg No C970 JBV Fleet No 97 'Polar Star' was registered new on the 1st of November 1985.


 Powered by a Gardner 16 litre 320 engine it is seen here with it's first load of corvic from ICI Runcorn in a brand new Carmichael 2000 cubic foot tri-axle tanker.


Driver Fred Bretherton, who used to carry a camera with him, took this photo just outside Dublin prior to delivering the load to Marley Tiles in Lurgan.


Photograph courtesy of Fred Bretherton.

Seddon Atkinson 401 4x2 tractor unit Reg No C450 OCK Fleet No 32 'Illustrious' powered by a Gardner 6LYT 16 litre 320 engine was registered new on the 1st of June 1986 at a cost of £27,468 plus vat.


 It is pictured here with a Crane Fruehauf 1450 cubic foot non tipping tank which had just been converted from tandem tri-axle by Municipal Trailers of Bamber Bridge.


 Tom Riding took the photograph when the newly converted tanker had just emerged from the paint shop.

Seddon Atkinson 401 Series 4x2 tractor unit Reg No C610 NRN Fleet No 11 'Cdeur-De-Lion' was a brand new addition to the fleet on the 1st of June 1986 at a cost £27,468.90p plus vat.


This particular tractor unit was allocated to Riding's Teesside depot and was driven from new by Kevin Jorden, another 30 year man.


 Seen here heading South on the M5 in Worcestershire it is hauling a Carmichael 2000 cubic foot non tipping tri-axle powder tanker full of nylon chip destined for ICI Ltd Pontypool which was a big traffic movement for Riding's at this time.


C610 NRN was eventually sold to JC commercials of Bootle on the 13th of February 1995 for £2,250 plus vat.

Registered new on the 1st of March 1987 Seddon Atkinson 401 Series 4x2 tractor unit Reg No D100 XHG Fleet No 69 'Hotspur II' was powered by a Gardner 6LXDT 290 engine.


Driven from new by the late Richard Walton it is seen here coupled up to a 1540 cubic foot Crane Fruehauf non tipping tri-axle powder tanker.


For a time this particular outfit was out based at Penrith and used on Castle Cement work engaged in two trips every 24 hours between Clitheroe in Lancashire and Coatbridge in Scotland.


After eight years service with Riding's D100 XHG was sold on to J.C. Commercials of Liverpool for £2,200 plus vat on the 18th August 1995 and must have been almost the last vehicle that Tom Riding sold before his retirement from the company in October 1995.


Photograph courtesy of Geoff Milne.

Seddon Atkinson 4-11 4x2 tractor unit Reg No E990 GCW Fleet No 73 'North Star' was registered new by Riding's on the 2nd of October 1987.


Driven by Alan Hide it is pictured here parked in the depot at Longridge while coupled up to one of the company's Crane Fruehauf built 1450 cubic foot non tipping tri-axle powder tanker's.

An on the road shot of Seddon Atkinson 4-11 4x2 tractor unit Reg No E990 GCW Fleet No 73  'North Star'.


 Registered new on the 2nd of October 1987 it was powered by a Gardner 6LXDT 290 engine.


 Driven by Alan Hide it is pictured here on the M4 near Swinton hauling a Carmichael 2000 cubic foot non tipping tri-axle powder tanker en-route to the European Vinyl's Corporation plant at Barry in South Wales for another load of pvc powder.


 Photograph courtesy of Adrian Cypher.

The very first ERF 4x2 tractor unit in W & J Riding's fleet was Reg No F540 THG Fleet No 102 'Skiddaw' an ERF E10 powered by a Cummins L10 325 engine.


 Brand new in August 1988 it was based at Riding's Thornaby Teesside depot and this on the road shot shows it coupled up to a Carmichael bulk powder tanker trailer. 


 Tom Riding recalls....


"These tanker trailers were built by Carmichael of Worcester and weighted fractionally under five tons.


This gave us an incredible payload of 27 tons which was the main reason we got the job of moving terephthalic acid powder from ICI WIlton to Eastman Kodak at Workington.


 Four tractor units and eight tankers were used on the job with each loaded tanker dropped on a tipping ramp and tipped by gravity.


 Under normal circumstances we did a load every three hours which amounted to 56 loads a week.


 Unfortunately to my knowledge no photographs exist of this operation because cameras were not allowed on site at that time".

Seddon Atkinson Stratocruiser 4x2 tractor unit Reg No F815 GNA Fleet No 17 'Highland Chieftain', registered new on the 11th of November 1988, is seen here heading down the M5 destined for the European Vinyl's Corporation plant at Barry South Wales.


Driven by the late Bill Lambert, who passed away on the 30th of December 2014, it is hauling a 1540 cubic foot Crane Fruehauf non tipping tri-axle powder tanker.


F815 GNA was bought second hand, minus it's gearbox, from Translitre of Burton on Trent on the 3rd of September 1991 at a cost of £10,000 plus vat.


 Powered by a Cummins E 320 big cam engine it remained in service with Riding's until the 27th of January 1998 when it was sold on to J.C. Commercials of Bootle for £2,000 plus vat.

ERF E10 4x2 tractor unit Reg No F550 ABV Fleet No 35 'Pen-Y-Ghent', powered by a Cummins L10 325 engine was registered new on the 1st of March 1989.


It is pictured here parked in Longridge depot on the 2nd of May 1993 after being in service with Riding's for just over four years while coupled to a 1540 cubic foot Crane Fruehauf non tipping tri-axle powder tanker, a type of which Riding's had many in their fleet.


Photograph courtesy of Chris Richards.

Seddon Atkinson Stratocruiser 4x2 tractor unit Reg No G30 WVT Fleet No 75 'Sir Geraint' which was originally registered new to ANC Parcels on the 1st of August 1989


Powered by a Cummins L10 325 engine it was one of four ex ANC Parcels Seddon Atkinson Stratocruiser tractor unit's Tom Riding bought on the 24th of April 1992 from local dealer Syd Hartley.


It is pictured here while discharging a load of powder granules from a bulk container. 

Seddon Atkinson Strato 4x2 tractor unit Reg No G388 JKY Fleet No 104 'Iron Duke' is seen here discharging its load at the Sterling Mouldings plant in Stalybridge. 


This was the first delivery on a new job for Bell Line and, as you can see, the brand new bulk container had yet to be painted.

The business end of a tipping skeletal trailer when fitted with a rotary feeder.


 It is seen here discharging plastic pellets at Hepworth's of Padiham were the operation and layout can be clearly seen and understood from this photograph.

Registered new on the 4th of August 1989 Seddon Atkinson Strato 4x2 tractor unit Reg No G388 JKY Fleet No 104 'Iron Duke' is seen here in Thornaby yard coupled up to a 1450 cubic foot Crane Fruehauf non tipping powder tank.


 This particular powder tank was dedicated to the job of moving black plastic pellets from ICI Wilton to the Nissan car plant at Sunderland were they were used in the manufacture of bumper bars.

 'E' Series ERF 4x2 tractor unit Reg No G790 JCW Fleet No 2 'Knight of the Thistle' was a brand new addition to the fleet on the 1st of September 1989 at a cost of £30,951 plus VAT.


 Fitted with a Cummins L10 325 engine it was originally used when new on general haulage and driven by Geoff Hunt.


 It is seen here in January 1993 at Longridge depot during the transfer of bagged ICI powder into a powder tanker for onward delivery.


Photograph courtesy of Chris Richards.

A pair of Riding's powder tankers are seen here while the drivers take a break on the M6 Southwaite service area in Cumbria after tipping their loads of plastic granules at the Mainetti manufacturing plant in Jedburgh Scotland.


On the left, painted in European Vinyl's Corporation (EVC Ltd) contract livery, is Seddon Atkinson Strato 4x2 tractor unit Reg No H840 VFR Fleet No 1 'Precursor' which was registered new to Riding's on the 17th of August 1990.


On the right, in standard W & J Riding livery, is Seddon Atkinson 401 Series 4x2 tractor unit Reg No D100 XHG Fleet No 69 'Hotspur II' which was registered new to Riding's on the 1st of March 1987.


'E' Series ERF 4x2 tractor unit Reg No K620 VHG Fleet No 30 'Patriot' was registered new on the 17th of February 1993.


Powered by a Perkins E12TX 325 engine it is seen pictured above parked in Longridge depot on the 2nd of May 1993 while coupled up to a 1540 cubic foot Crane Fruehauf non tipping powder tank.

Early in 1996, shortly after the retirement of Tom Riding, K620 VHG along with the Crane Fruehauf non tipping powder tank lost their Riding identity when they were given the 

scarab green 'TDG Nexus' livery.


              Photographs courtesy of Chris Richards.

'E' Series ERF 4x2 tractor unit Reg No K730 URN Fleet No 6 'Sir Lancelot' was registered new on the 1st of February 1993.


Powered by a Perkins E12TX 325 engine and in European Vinyls Corporation (EVC Ltd) livery it was driven by Fred Bretherton.


Seen here in May 1993 at Longridge depot it is coupled up to a Riding liveried Carmichael 2000 cubic foot tri-axle powder tanker.


Photograph courtesy of Chris Richards

ERF EC12 4X2 tractor unit Reg No L380 MEO Fleet No 26  'Sanspareil', powered by a Perkins E12 TX325 engine, was bought new by Riding's in December 1993 at a cost of £37,295 plus vat, and was assigned to hauling a 2000 cubic foot Carmichael tank on the Wilton - Pontypool movement of Nylon chip.


After many years use a tractor unit it was latter fitted with a ballast box and is still in use today as a ballast tractor on Teesside Docks.

Riding's first Foden 4x2 tractor unit Reg No M450 RRN Fleet No 5 'Great Eastern' is seen here coupled up to a non tipping Crane Fruehauf tanker.


 It is discharging a load of sugar at the Duerrs jam factory on Prestage Street Old Trafford Manchester in 1994.

Another shot of Foden 4x2 tractor unit Reg No M450 RRN Fleet No 5 'Great Eastern' this time seen here travelling on the southbound carriageway of the A1 south of Boroughbridge while hauling a Carmichael 2000 cubic foot tri-axle tanker.


 Photograph courtesy of Roy Beecher.


[Back to home page]


 ---------------------


 

Recent Forum Posts

by shugg over a year ago
by T W Riding over a year ago
by P D SERVICES over a year ago

Members Area

Site Visitors